Are you an LIS student or recent graduate on the job hunt or preparing for it in the near future? Are you a new or experienced archivist with insights to share from your experience as an applicant or on a search committee? Please join the SAA Students and New Archives Professionals Section for our November 9th #snaprt Twitter chat about the experience of embarking on the professional job hunt for the first time.
For our chat on embarking of the professional job hunt on November 9 at 8 PM ET, we will pose questions such as:
- What is the best piece of advice you’ve received regarding job applications?
- What qualities do you look for in a job? Why are they important to you?
- What have you found to be the most valuable resources in the job hunt (people, websites, or anything else)?
- What is the experience of working on applications like? What types of things do you struggle with?
- What aspects of your resume do you think have helped you the most?
We welcome archivists of all experience levels to join or keep up with the chat using the #snaprt hashtag. If you have a question, discussion topic, or resource related to the theme this month, please send it to @SNAP_Section on Twitter, submit it through the anonymous web form on the #snaprt chat page or e-mail me directly at email@example.com.
Here some resources related to this week’s chat you may want to check out:
- “How to Prepare for the Job Hunt” by Courtney Baron for Hack Library School: http://hacklibraryschool.com/2015/05/25/how-to-prepare-for-the-job-hunt/
- “What Not to Do When Applying to Library Jobs” by the Editorial Board for In the Library with a Lead Pipe: http://www.inthelibrarywiththeleadpipe.org/2009/what-not-to-do-when-applying-for-library-jobs/
- “Farewell for now, and how I made a job-search battle plan”: by Samantha Winn for Hack Library School: http://hacklibraryschool.com/2014/07/03/job-search-battle-plan/
- Skype Your Way to Success” by Christina Wilson for I Need A Library Job: http://inalj.com/?p=15127
- Goldman, Rebecca and Lausch, Shannon M., “Job search experiences and career satisfaction among recent archives program graduates” (2012). Conference presentations. Paper 4. (with thanks to Rebecca Goldman @DerangeDescribe): http://digitalcommons.lasalle.edu/libraryconf/4