Please join the SAA Students and New Archives Professionals Section for the next #snaprt Twitter chat on January 26, discussing remote and virtual internships. Anyone interested in the topic of remote archival internships is welcome to participate. For our January 26 chat at 8 PM ET, we will discuss topics such as:
- What are some of the challenges you’ve experienced in finding remote archival internship opportunities?
- What can SNAP do to help potential interns connect with these opportunities?
- For those who have had success in finding remote internships, where do you recommend looking for postings? Any helpful keywords?
- What kind of skills or experience do you expect/hope to gain from a remote internship?
- What are the advantages & disadvantages of remote internships vs. in person?
- What strategies will/do/did you use for balancing work, school, and remote internship work?
- From those who have completed or are currently doing remote internships, can you share any advice?
We welcome everyone to join or keep up with this chat using the #snaprt hashtag on Twitter. If you would like to have a discussion topic included in this chat, please send it to @SNAP_Roundtable on Twitter, submit it through the anonymous form on the SNAP chat webpage or e-mail the SNAP Senior Social Media Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here some resources related to next week’s chat you may want to check out:
- Virtual Archival Hunters – Jobs, Internships, Resources Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/589964594531744/
- “Landing your first library internship” by Christina Czhuajewski for Hack Library School: http://hacklibraryschool.com/2015/03/23/landing-your-first-library-internship/
- “Virtual Interning: Is It for You?” by Amanda for Hack Library School: https://hacklibraryschool.com/2014/05/16/virtual-interning/
- “Job Search Resources: Web Resources for Archival Positions” by Rossy Mendez for SAA @ Pratt: https://prattsaa.wordpress.com/job-search-resources/
- “Going the Distance: Managing Interns from Around the Country” by Pamela Pierce in Archival Outlook November/December 2016 http://www.bluetoad.com/display_article.php?id=2641044&id_issue=358515