Please join the SAA Students and New Archives Professionals Roundtable for the next #snaprt Twitter chat on Thursday, January 14, discussing summer internships. Anyone interested in the topic of archival internships is welcome to participate. For our January 14 chat at 8 PM ET, we will discuss topics such as:
- For those who have completed internships: what did you gain from your experience?
- How can you parse out the qualifications that are the most important from those that are lower priority? How many should you meet when deciding to apply?
- What have you found to be the most valuable resources while searching for internships (people, websites, or anything else)?
- For those in the field: What do you look for in an intern?
- What final tips and advice do you have for those just starting the internship search?
We welcome everyone to join or keep up with this chat using the #snaprt hashtag on Twitter. If you would like to have a discussion topic included in this chat, please send it to @SNAP_Roundtable on Twitter, submit it through the anonymous form on the SNAP RT chat webpage or e-mail the SNAP RT Junior Social Media Coordinator at email@example.com.
Here some resources related to next week’s chat you may want to check out:
- “Tips for making internships work for everybody!” by Topher Lawton for Hack Library School: http://hacklibraryschool.com/2012/11/05/tips-for-making-internships-work-for-everybody/
- “Landing your first library internship” by Christina Czhuajewski for Hack Library School: http://hacklibraryschool.com/2015/03/23/landing-your-first-library-internship/
- “Wanted, Free Labor: The Impact and Ethics of Unpaid Work” by Lance Stuchell for New Archivist: http://newarchivist.com/2011/11/17/free-labor/
- “Job Search Resources: Web Resources for Archival Positions” by Rossy Mendez for SAA @ Pratt: https://prattsaa.wordpress.com/job-search-resources/
- Goldman, Rebecca MSLIS, “Sea Change: A Community Approach to Archives Internships” (2015). Conference presentations. Paper 7: http://digitalcommons.lasalle.edu/libraryconf/7
SNAP Junior Social Media Coordinator