Please join SAA’s Students and New Archives Professionals Roundtable for the next #snaprt Twitter chat in this month’s series on finding your first professional job. The focus of the upcoming chat on Wednesday, November 25, at 8 PM ET will be managing job offers and adjusting to your first professional role. Our most recent chat about in-person job interviews included lots of great advice from chat participants (many thanks!) Please visit the chat transcript on Storify to learn more: https://storify.com/SNAP_Roundtable/job-intervi.
LIS students, recent graduates, and new and experienced archivists are all encouraged to join the chat on Wednesday, November 25, at 8 PM ET. We will discuss topics such as:
- What kinds of positions without “archivist” in the job title can benefit from the types of skills archives-focused LIS graduates have?
- What are some tips for negotiating the salary, benefits, or other aspects of a job? Why might someone turn down an offer?
- In what ways might you call upon your connections, training, or other resources to support yourself in transitioning to a new role?
- What kinds of lessons have you learned as a new professional? Have any surprised you?
- What do you consider to be the characteristics of a professional? And how can you grow as a professional particularly in your early years?
We welcome everyone to join or keep up with our chat using the #snaprt hashtag on Twitter. If you would like to have your question or discussion topic included in this chat, please send it to @SNAP_Roundtable on Twitter, submit it through the anonymous form on the SNAP RT chat webpage or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please see the SNAP RT chat webpage for more information about #snaprt Twitter chats.
Here some resources you may enjoy related to the upcoming chat. Please feel free to share more links using the #snaprt hashtag or by contacting the SNAP RT social media team through any of the methods mentioned above.
- “Real Talk. Negotiating Salary in Archives” by Maureen Callahan on Chaos -> Order: https://icantiemyownshoes.wordpress.com/2014/09/04/real-talk-negotiating-salary-in-archives/
- “Negotiating Your Job Offer” by Courtney Baron on I Need A Library Job: http://inalj.com/?p=40566
- The “Transitions” series on the SNAP Roundtable blog (includes 12 different blog posts from a variety of authors): https://snaproundtable.wordpress.com/category/transitions-2/
- Goldman, Rebecca and Lausch, Shannon M., “Job search experiences and career satisfaction among recent archives program graduates” (2012). Conference presentations. Paper 4. (with thanks to Rebecca Goldman): http://digitalcommons.lasalle.edu/libraryconf/4
SNAP Roundtable Senior Social Media Coordinator