Feedback Needed: Annual Roundtable Meeting Schedule

It’s that time again; time to start planning for our roundtable’s meeting at the SAA Annual Meeting in August in New Orleans. The Steering Committee has been brainstorming about what to include during our two hour meeting, and we’d like to hear from you. Here are some of our ideas on how to use the time:

  • About 15 minutes of business remarks
  • Potential speakers from Membership and/or Programming Committees
  • Potential job advice Q&A session
  • Potential panel on project archivists
  • Time to share first-year experiences
  • Hear about the DAS (Digital Archives Specialist) program
  • Networking session with members of other roundtables & sections

What do you think, SNAPpers? How would you like to spend our meeting time?

For your reference, here’s what happened at last year’s meeting:

  • 5:30 Opening remarks/Statement of business (Rebecca Goldman, Chair)
  • 5:40 Council Report (Kate Theimer, Council Liaison)
  • 5:45 Welcome and invitation to the reception (Rachel Vagts, Membership Committee)
  • 5:50 Academy of Certified Archivists presentation (Courtney E Chartier, CA, Atlanta University Center Woodruff Library; Tomaro Taylor, CA, Louis de la Parte Florida Mental Health Institute Research Library)
  • 6:25 Jobs presentation (Roland Baumann, Oberlin College; Arlene Schmuland, University of Alaska Anchorage; Arian Ravanbakhsh, National Archives at College Park)
  • 7:00 SAA Group Breakouts (Small group sessions with representatives from other SAA roundtables and sections, and with SAA Executive Director Nancy Beaumont)

Please leave a comment about which ideas you would like to see at our meeting.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , on by .

About Lisa H

Lisa is the archivist/librarian at the Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center at Augustana College. She stumbled into archival work by way of the museum world and is always seeking ways to break down the silos of these professions. Lisa has worked in museums, libraries, and archives in Illinois, New York, and Alaska. While not at work, Lisa spends her free time biking, working on art projects, and putting her useless knowledge to good use on bar trivia teams. You can find her on Twitter @lisahuntsha.

5 thoughts on “Feedback Needed: Annual Roundtable Meeting Schedule

  1. Rebecca

    I’m going to elaborate on some of these ideas:

    About 15 minutes of business remarks: Since it’s easy to share information about the Steering Committee’s activities online in advance of the meeting, last year we kept this as short as possible. I’d like to do the same this year.
    Potential speakers from Membership and/or Programming Committees: Last year, the Membership Committee asked to send a speaker, and it’s typical for someone from the following year’s Program Committee to speak at section and roundtable meetings. In the interest of time, we passed on a Program Committee speaker.
    Potential job advice Q&A session: We did this last year and it was very well received. Since different hiring archivists will have different advice, it could be worth repeating in 2013 with different panelists.
    Potential panel on project archivists: This one was my idea. Lots of recent grads start off as project archivists, but we don’t hear too much about them at conferences.
    Time to share first-year experiences: This was an idea submitted by SNAP members: a panel with recent grads talking about their first year as professional archivists.
    Hear about the DAS (Digital Archives Specialist) program: Another member-submitted idea. Panelists would talk about their experience taking DAS classes and working towards the certification.
    Networking session with members of other roundtables & sections: Last year, we devoted the end of our meeting to networking. Representatives from all of SAA’s sections and roundtables were invited to speak briefly about their group and set up at a table to meet and answer questions from curious SNAPpers.

    Since the Annual Meeting is the only time all year we have to meet face-to-fact, I’d like to take advantage of that and keep our events as interactive as possible. (Less presenting, more participating!) I’d also like to point out that we’ll have free wifi in New Orleans, so it will be much easier to include remote attendees. Streaming video might be beyond our reach, but live-tweeting is definitely possible.

    Other ideas are very welcome!

    Reply
  2. Marika Cifor

    As a current project archivist (my first professional position) I would love to see (or participate in) a panel on/for project archivists! I think this would be great to see as these experiences are not talked about much at SAA despite these being the positions available to myself and other early career archivists

    Reply
  3. Elliot

    I think those are all great ideas! I would really look a panel on project archivist positions, since I agree that it’s something that isn’t widely talked about and it would be great to hear about how to continue developing as a professional while working short-term gigs. I also like the idea of hearing a bit more about the DAS program, maybe including thoughts about how it compares to the digital skills some of us have learned/are learning in school.

    Reply
  4. Katy Guyon

    I definitely like the idea of discussing project archivist work, the DAS program, job advice and some time for networking.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s